What is Java?
Java is a high level programming language and also known as platform because of its JRE (java runtime environment).
Brief History of Java.
Java language project initially started in June 1991 by James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton. An oak tree stood outside Gosling’s office at that time and java named as oak initially. It later renamed as Green and was later renamed as java from java coffee.
Base concept of java language project.
Write once, run anywhere (WORA) – that means java program can run anywhere and on any platform. When java code is compiled it is converted into byte code. Now only this byte code is needed to run using JVM, no need of source code and recompilation.
Java released versions:
1. JDK Alpha and Beta (1995)
2. JDK 1.0 (23rd Jan, 1996)
3. JDK 1.1 (19th Feb, 1997)
4. J2SE 1.2 (8th Dec, 1998)
5. J2SE 1.3 (8th May, 2000)
6. J2SE 1.4 (6th Feb, 2002)
7. J2SE 5.0 (30th Sep, 2004)
8. Java SE 6 (11th Dec, 2006)
9. Java SE 7 (28th July, 2011)
10. Java SE 8 (18th March, 2014)
11. Java SE 9 (21th Sept, 2017)
12. Java SE 10 (20th March, 2018)
13. Java SE 11 (25th Nov, 2018)
14. Java SE 12 (19th March, 2019)