Generics tutorial in java for beginners and professionals with examples in eclipse on Basics, Generics terms, Generics Examples, wildcard and more.
Generics is a way of implementing generic programming. Generic programming provides the facility like for a set of related methods, declare a single method that support any valid types. Generics are introduced in java 5. In java, generics are added because of Compile time type safety.
Let us understand with an example. We have an ArrayList of string type and add an integer type element. Before java 5 this code will compile and throw exception at the runtime which is worse. Generics provides the facility of compile time type safety i.e. compiler check that the correct types should be used at the correct places and no ClassCastException.
Working Generics examples programs with output and source code.
Java Generics tutorial:
- Generics in java.
- Generics terms and naming convention.
- Compile time checking test.
- ClassCastException at runtime test.
- Wildcard in generics.
- Unbounded wildcard.
- Upper bounded wildcard.
- Lower bounded wildcard.
- Generics class example.
- Generics class example with two parameters.
- Generics method example.
- Generics method example with two parameters.
- Generics constructor example.
- Generics constructor example with two parameters.
Generics interview questions in java: