Some of the unique yet important features of PostgreSQL are listed below.
- Runs on all major operating systems including Linux, UNIX and Windows.
- Supports text, images, sounds, and video.
- Includes programming interfaces for C / C++, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl and Open Database Connectivity (ODBC).
- Supports many features of SQL including some advanced features.
- A table in PostgreSQL can be set to inherit their characteristics from a “parent” table.
- To add additional functionality to PostgreSQL several extensions can be installed.
There are several tools available as front-end to PostgreSQL. Some of these tools are open sources while others are Paid tools Some of these tools are:
|psql||● Command line tool.|
● Primary tool to manage PostgreSQL.
|pgAdmin||● Free and open source graphical user interface administration tool for PostgreSQL.|
|phpPgAdmin||● Web-based administration tool for PostgreSQL written in PHP. Based on phpMyAdmin tool.|
● Manages MySQL.OpenOffice.org Base.
● Can be used as a front end tool to PostgreSQL.
|pgFouine||● Log analyzer.|
● Creates reports from PostgreSQL log files.